Have you heard or experience the new foldable or flip smartphone design certain smartphone companies has released with their smartphones?
If not, today we will be going to detail about the new foldable or flip smartphone designs some smartphone companies has released into the smartphone market.
We will be discussing the following regarding this topic:
- Is this a new smartphone design trend?
- Customer base this smartphone design will target for in the market?
- Pros and Cons of having a foldable or flip smartphone design smartphone.
- Name and compare current available foldable or flip smartphone design smartphones.
- Other smartphone brands that want to make use of the foldable or flip smartphone design.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you. Also, we do not charge you extra.
Is it a new smartphone design trend?
The answer to question is yes, it is. The foldable or flip smartphone design has started already in the year 2020 as an introduction to the smartphone market. This was done to see how the smartphone customers will react to this new smartphone design and if there will be a demand for it.
Customers always grave for something new in the smartphone industry. It’s either better camera, battery, smartphone size, color, layout and even the smartphone design itself.
Do you remember the time when the smartphones slide and flip in past? I remember that clearly when I had my Samsung D500. It was so popular at the time and was nice and small to fit in my pocket. At the time you either had a slip or flip smartphone which was nice.
However, in that period we still depended on the physical number buttons, which has faded away over time in the smartphone industry. You still get the button smartphones, but customers tend to take the touch screen button smartphones instead.
Anyway, the real question is why are we going back to the similar era? Or is it the same as the past?
Not quite. The foldable or flip smartphone design is made to make smartphone size go into a small tablet size.
Basically, it replaces the need of having to purchase a separate tablet for your needs and just do everything on one smartphone. That is quite creative on its own.
Customer base this smartphone design will target for in the market?
The price of these smartphones is quite pricey due to the high tech machines and parts used to manufacture these smartphones.
Thus, foldable or flip smartphone design smartphones fall more under the premium smartphone budget customer base.
This means not many people will be walking around with such a smartphone at the moment, but may change in the near future.
The price differ in different smartphone brands of course and also each smartphone’s size of their foldable or flip smartphone design also has an impact on their prices. Thus, the price range is between $799 till $5999.
Pro and Cons of having a foldable or flip smartphone design smartphone
- Work on a bigger screen smartphone.
- Easily reduces the size of the smartphone when putting it away in your pocket or bag.
- May reduces the need to have a tablet and work only from one device.
- Very expensive these smartphones.
- The screen display of these smartphones are very fragile and easy to break.
- When opening the smartphone, there is a visible crease that may appear after extensive use between the two screens which is quite an eyesore.
Name and compare current available foldable or flip smartphone design smartphones
The following are the folding smartphones:
1) Samsung Z Fold 2 5G
2) Huawei Mate X2
3) Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold
4) Huawei Mate XS
Here is a comparison table between all of these foldable smartphones:
By looking at the above table, the following stands out:
- The Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold has better camera specs, battery power capacity and has a higher RAM selection as well. However, is also the heaviest smartphone out of the 4 options in the table.
- Samsung Z Fold 2 5G is the smallest in the group with 0,4 inches and is also the lightest out of the 4 options.
- Huawei Mate XS has no front selfie camera in front, which may lose some customers to go for the other 3 options.
Here are the flip smartphones:
1) Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
Here is a comparison table between all of these flip smartphones:
By looking at the above table, the following stands out:
- The Motorola Razr 5G has a small front screen when it flips closed, while the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G has no screen when flip closed.
- The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G is 0.5 inches bigger than the Motorola Razr 5G when it is flip open.
- The Motorola Razr 5G camera specs are far better than the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G.
Other smartphone brands that want to make use of the foldable or flip smartphone design
So as we know now Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi and Motorola are smartphone brands that has a smartphone series that either have the foldable or flip smartphone design.
There are other smartphone brands I have not mentioned yet, but they not mentioned due to the following reasons:
- The smartphone brand is no more in smartphone manufacturing business like LG which has the LG wing and were planning to launch the first rollable smartphone known as LG Rollable.
- The other smartphone brands have not officially launched a smartphone with a foldable or flip smartphone design yet, however showed trailers of smartphones they want to manufacture and sell to customers.
Here is some trailers of some smartphone brands that have not officially launched a foldable or flip smartphone design:
The foldable or flip smartphone design is a trend for the future in the smartphone industry, however is not mainstream yet into the market due to being very expensive than the other premium smartphones. Thus, this trend is still growing, but very slowly.
The real question is, is foldable or flip smartphone design something customers would like to have in a smartphone? The answer goes both ways depending on each customer’s preferences in smartphone selection. If you want to read more about customer prefences, check out this post.
The customers that would love to have the foldable or flip smartphone design smartphone, would be the customer that love to work or watch on big smartphone screens and can easily close it up to make the smartphone fit easily into their pockets or bag.
The customers that will not like the foldable or flip smartphone design smartphones, would be customers that had bad experience of the past slide or flip smartphone design smartphone. The bad experience is something I can relate to as many times my slide smartphone screen always lost connectivity to its screen making the smartphone unusable which was annoying.
Might be something of the past, but can be something to be concerned about. The other problem is, the screen of the foldable or flip smartphone design smartphone is very sensitive due to the material it uses to make it bend is different from other smartphone screens. Thus, customers will be very scared if their new foldable or flip smartphone design smartphone falls.
My honest opinion, this is interesting smartphone design concept and something that can still grow into the market. I like the idea of just having one device for everything and no need to pack a smartphone and a tablet for my travels or work. I can eliminate the tablet completely by just having the right foldable smartphone which looks like the Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold.
What is your opinion regarding foldable or flip smartphone design smartphones? Is it something you would consider and why?
Please comment in the comments below and hope you enjoyed the article. 😀