Honor has finally released their first standalone smartphone series. They were usually part of a partnership with Huawei, but have broken ties with them since last year and are standing alone as a smartphone brand. If you want to know more about the Honor smartphone brand itself, read more here.
But today, we will review Honor’s latest smartphone series which is called the Honor 50 series. The Honor 50 series will consist out of three smartphones. In this review, we will reveal each one’s design and each specs. Plus we will compare them with each other.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for yourself. Also, we do not charge you extra.
Honor 50 SE
The main features that stand out for the Honor 50 SE are the following:
- Design Layout – The Honor 50 SE design is unique and spectacular. Even though this smartphone of the series is classified for low budget users, you get to experience how the premium smartphone of the series will look like at affordable prices.
- Rear Camera – The Honor 50 SE’s rear camera almost has the specs of many premium smartphone rear cameras. Even close to the number one best camera smartphone the Samsung S21 Ultra. Just at a lower price, few lenses and less megapixels too. Plus it is again close to it’s premium smartphone’s rear camera of the series.
- RAM – The Honor 50 SE has a very fast RAM memory, which gives it’s user a smooth experience when opening multiple applications on their smartphone.
The downsides for the Honor 50 SE are the following:
- Chipset – MediaTek chip sets are not the best compared to Snapdragon. They tend to cause applications to freeze or kick the user out of them once in a while.
- Battery Capacity – The battery capacity of the Honor 50 SE is not bad. However, is quite low compared to other low end smartphones. The great part is it’s not that small battery capacity. Sadly, still a downside.
Overall – The Honor 50 SE is an impressive smartphone and very close to it’s premium smartphone’s features and design. Its rear camera is the true winner out of all it’s specs as it has the specs close to the best camera smartphone ranked this year and this is a low end smartphone of the series! The downsides mentioned aren’t that big of a concern unless you prefer longer battery life and better chipset on the smartphone itself.
The main features that stand out for the Honor 50 are the following:
- Design Layout – The Honor 50 has an elegant and spectacular with a few more camera lenses compared to the Honor 50 SE.
- Chipset – The latest Snapdragon chip is installed in the Honor 50 which is one of best chips to have in a smartphone. This one tends to cause fewer applications to freeze or crash out of the blue.
- Front Camera – The Honor 50 has one of the best front cameras out there. It will definitely take great selfie photos.
- Rear Camera – The rear camera of the Honor 50 is more impressive has one more camera lens compared to the Honor 50 SE.
- RAM – The Honor 50 has two RAM memory size options with one that is greater than the Honor 50 SE’s RAM. Meaning the Honor 50 will run faster through it’s applications compared to the Honor 50 SE.
The downsides of the Honor 50 are the following:
- Size – The Honor 50’s size is smaller compared to it’s low end smartphone and premium end smartphone in this series. It may be a benefit for users that love smaller smartphones. However, a middle end smartphone is usually expected to be bigger than the low end smartphone of the series.
- Battery Capacity – The battery capacity of the Honor 50 is exactly the same as the Honor 50 SE’s battery capacity. I would expect it will have more battery capacity compared to it’s low end smartphone of the series. Thus, it is very upsetting.
Overall – The Honor 50 has some better features compared to the Honor 50 SE. It isn’t a bad smartphone as well. However, the size decrease of the Honor 50 is quite upsetting. It may satisfy some users that love smaller smartphones, but a person would expect the middle end smartphone of the series will be bigger compared to the low end smartphone of the series. With the Honor 50’s battery capacity, I at least expected an improvement compared to the Honor 50 SE’s battery capacity. But they are exactly the same. At least the rear and front camera of the Honor 50 has improved quite a bit. As well it’s RAM memory.
Honor 50 Pro
The main features that stand out for the Honor 50 Pro are the following:
- Size – The Honor 50 Pro has a nice big screen display smartphone. Something big screen lovers will love to have.
- Chipset – The Honor 50 Pro makes use of the latest Snapdragon chips just like the Honor 50. This means the Honor 50 will most likely have fewer applications that will freeze or close out of the blue.
- Front Camera – The Honor 50 Pro has the best front camera out of the series as it has two front camera lenses. This will result the Honor 50 Pro taking better selfie pictures and videos. The second camera lens also helps the pictures and videos to be clearer and be more stable when taken by shaking hands.
- Battery capacity – The Honor 50 Pro has improved it’s battery capacity compared to the other two smartphones in the series, even though it was a small improvement. This means the Honor 50 Pro will last longer compared to the other two smartphones in this series.
The downsides for the Honor 50 Pro are the following:
- RAM – The RAM memory size options the Honor 50 Pro has, is exactly the same as the Honor 50. A person would have expected the Honor 50 Pro would offer a better RAM memory option out of all the other smartphones that are part of this series. Still good, but a better RAM memory option would have made the Honor 50 Pro stand out more of this smartphone series.
- Storage – The same issue as with the RAM memory size. A person would expect a higher storage memory size option. But not only that, also a smaller storage memory option as well. Because the Honor 50 Pro only comes in one storage memory size and that’s it.
- Rear Camera – The rear camera of the Honor 50 Pro is exactly the same as the Honor 50’s rear camera. A person would expect the rear camera of the premium smartphone of the series will be far different and better compared to the others in the smartphone series.
Overall – The Honor 50 Pro stand out mostly for it’s size, chipset, front camera and battery capacity. Rest of it’s features are really the same as the Honor 50. So if you want the features of the Honor 50, but in a bigger size smartphone, then the Honor 50 Pro would be your selection.
Honor View 40 vs Honor 50 Series
Now the Honor View 40 was Honor’s initial series they were focusing on, but was canceled as they wanted a similar smartphone design that will compete against their former owners premium series, Huawei. But let us see how it differs compared to Honor 50 series concept.
The main differences between the Honor View 40 with the Honor 50 series are the following:
- Design Layout – The rear camera’s design of the Honor View 40 compared to the Honor 50 series are way different. The Honor View 40’s rear camera lenses are on one black rectangle layout together. While the Honor 50 series rear camera lenses are on two black circle layouts.
- Chipset – The Honor View 40 makes use of the Mediatek chipset, while the Honor 50 and Honor 50 Pro make use of one of the best chip sets you can find, Snapdragon. Meaning the Honor 50 series has improved in this regard.
- Front Camera – The front camera layout of the Honor View 40 is similar to the Honor 50 Pro. However, the front camera specs of the Honor 50 Pro are far way better compared to the Honor View 40. Definitely a big improved.
- Rear Camera – The Honor View 40’s rear camera megapixels are way lower compared to the entire Honor 50 series. This would have led less customers to be interested in the Honor View 40. Even though the specs are good for the Honor View 40,the Honor 50 series is far better in this category. The Honor 50 series basically has 50 more megapixels than the Honor View 40’s rear camera. That says enough.
Rest all the specs of the Honor View 40 is similar with the Honor 50 series. Just shows Honor knew they could make a better smartphone that will stand out more in the smartphone market and compete against other smartphone brands, especially against their previous owner, Huawei.
The Honor 50 series looks really impressive. I am just curious how they knew what their previous owner, Huawei, plans were for the Huawei P50 series design. When you put them together, they are really similar. However, spec wise they are different.
The Honor 50 series will come with a GMS Android platform. Meaning the Honor 50 series will have Google applications pre-installed onto it, which the Huawei will not have. This will give the Honor smartphone brand the advantage against their previous owner, Huawei.
I believe the Honor 50 series will do well in the smartphone market in terms of specs and also being on the Google platform. The Honor 50 SE looks like a smartphone that will satisfy a lot of users that cannot afford expensive smartphones. While the Honor 50 Pro will satisfy users that want excellent selfie pictures or videos. The Honor 50 I believe will satisfy users that want to experience the specs of the Honor 50 Pro, but in a smaller size.
Honor did a good job with this smartphone series and I am excited when this smartphone series make their appearance more around the world. My question is when will that be? I guess we have wait and see.
Are you excited for the Honor 50 series and why?
Please provide your answer in the comments below.