Huawei has released the new Huawei Nova 8i in certain countries and is going to make their first appearance in South Africa during October 2021. There is already a good hype with the Huawei Nova 8 that was released already this September, but will the Huawei Nova 8i have the same experience?
We will have to see, but the main questions that comes to everyone’s head are the following:
What is the design of the Huawei Nova 8i?
What are the main features that the Huawei Nova 8i has that stand out more compare to its competitors?
How does the Huawei Nova 8i differ to the Huawei Nova 8?
On which platform will the Huawei Nova 8i be based on?
Is the Huawei Nova 8i a smartphone to consider buying?
All of these questions will be answered right now so let us begin!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for yourself. Also, we do not charge you extra.
The design of the Huawei Nova 8i
As you can see in the image above the Huawei Nova 8i is going to have a quad rear camera layout that is similar to the Huawei Mate 30 Pro which many users love this specific layout. The front camera of the Huawei Nova 8i will be on the left side of the screen which is similar to the Huawei P40 and P40 Pro front camera layout.
The Huawei Nova 8i will have a dual sim section which enables you to place two sim cards into the smartphone. However, it will not have a slot to place an external micro memory card into it. Thus, may upset a few fans that love to expand their smartphone memory with an external micro memory card.
The Huawei Nova 8i will also not have a jack plug in area for wired headphones. Thus, the only way you can listen to your music through a speaker or headphones is by Bluetooth sadly. Then of course the Huawei Nova 8i will make use of a type-c plug in adapter to ensure super fast charging.
As you can see in the image above, the Huawei Nova 8i’s rear camera will have four camera lenses where one camera lens has 64 megapixels compatibility. Not a bad camera, but not the best. The other camera lenses helps the Huawei Nova 8i take photos and videos from far in good quality. Plus the other camera lenses ensure you can capture a whole big area without needing you to move backwards or further away. Majority all smartphones coming out now are providing similar camera specs just in different layouts.
The Huawei Nova 8i will be available in the following colors:
- Moonlight Silver
- Interstellar Blue
- Starry Black
The main features that stand out of the Huawei Nova 8i
By looking at the summary image above, there are quite a few main features the Huawei Nova 8i has. We will specifically discuss the features that stand out more compare to other smartphones and they are the following:
- Power Charging Speed – The Huawei Nova 8i makes use of a 66w power charger that charge the battery of the Huawei Nova 8i to 60% less than 17 minutes. To charge the battery full with power for the Huawei Nova 8i, you will have to wait for 38 minutes which is not long at all. Definitely a smartphone to consider if you are those users that forget to charge your smartphone with power and need a short window period to charge it full with power.
- Super Night Shot – The Huawei Nova 8i can take clear quality light photos and videos in dark areas or even nighttime. It is a feature many smartphone users request for cause they do not like blurry dark photos or videos. Now they do not have to worry with the Huawei Nova 8i.
Rest of the features the Huawei Nova 8i offers, many other smartphones also offer. So the two features just mentioned are the ones that will attract most users to consider buying the Huawei Nova 8i. However, how does it compare to the Huawei Nova 8? That we will find out next.
Huawei Nova 8i VS Huawei Nova 8
The main differences between the Huawei Nova 8i and the Huawei Nova 8 are the following:
- Size – The Huawei Nova 8i is 0,10 inches bigger than the Huawei Nova 8. Definitely a big display smartphone screen.
- Weight – The Huawei Nova 8 is 21g lighter to carry and use compare to the Huawei Nova 8i.
- Front Camera – The Huawei Nova 8’s front camera lens has double more megapixels than compare to the Huawei Nova 8i. Meaning if you want the best selfie photos and videos, you should consider the Huawei Nova 8 more than compare to the Huawei Nova 8i.
- RAM – The Huawei Nova 8i has two RAM memory size options while the Huawei Nova 8 only has one option. Yes, both smartphones offer the fast RAM memory size option. However, since the Huawei Nova 8i has a lower RAM memory size option, the price for the Huawei Nova 8i may be cheaper than compare to the Huawei Nova 8.
- Storage – The Huawei Nova 8 has two on board storage memory size options whereas the Huawei Nova 8i only has one option. Plus the Huawei Nova 8 offers the highest on board storage memory size.
- Battery Capacity – The Huawei Nova 8i has 500 mAh more battery capacity than compare to the Huawei Nova 8’s battery capacity. Meaning the Huawei Nova 8i’s battery will last longer before having the need recharge it with power as compared to the Huawei Nova 8’s battery.
- Price – The Huawei Nova 8 goes for R10999, while the Huawei Nova 8i will go around R4999 or R5999. Meaning the Huawei Nova 8i will be far cheaper to purchase than compare to the Huawei Nova 8.
Overall: The Huawei Nova 8 has a bit better features compare to the Huawei Nova 8i. However, the Huawei Nova 8i is way more affordable than compare to Huawei Nova 8 and has some features that are better than the Huawei Nova 8. For example, the Huawei Nova 8i has a better battery life. Plus the rear camera specs for both smartphones are identical in megapixels and amount of camera lenses, but only differ in rear camera layout. The Huawei Nova 8 gives you a glimpse of the new Huawei design Huawei is planning for the future, whereas the Huawei Nova 8i gives you previous Huawei premium smartphone designs. Thus, it all comes down to which one do you prefer more.
On which platform will the Huawei Nova 8i be based on?
The Huawei Nova 8i will be on the Android HMS platform. Meaning, it will not have Google play services pre-installed to it and will make use AppGallery to get specific applications you desire. Just note that some applications may not function properly on the Android HMS platform smartphones. Thus, it is important to do research first if your desired applications will work on these Android HMS platform smartphones to avoid any disappointment.
The Huawei Nova 8i is a beautiful big display screen smartphone that comes with wonderful features. Two of the main features the Huawei Nova 8i will offer for you is one quick power recharge capabilities in a short amount of time and second to take excellent photos and videos no matter in light or dark places. Besides these good features, the Huawei Nova 8i is really affordable for many users to purchase.
However, there are downsides with the Huawei Nova 8i. Firstly, as with all new Huawei smartphones, they are all under the Android HMS platform. This platform is known to give some problems to certain applications and may cause users to be very frustrated with their smartphone selection. Thus, I plead you to do research first if your applications will work on the Android HMS devices to avoid disappointment.
Second issue would be that you cannot expand your storage memory on board with an external memory card. It is not a big issue, but will push some users away to consider purchasing the Huawei Nova 8i.
Overall, the Huawei Nova 8i feels like a good mid range smartphone to have at affordable prices. I would say it does compete with the Huawei P40 Lite and Huawei P Smart 2021 price bracket and in terms of features. But, the main question that is left now:
Would you consider purchasing the Huawei Nova 8i?
Please let me know your answer in the comment section below with a full reason why you would consider purchasing the Huawei Nova 8i or why you would not consider purchasing the Huawei Nova 8i.